Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lux sit


The University of Washington is a place where I learned much and experienced more. Once again, it is the time of year when new and returning students flood the quad, pack the coffee houses and impede quite contemplation at the UBS (University Book Store). Soon, disheveled mothers and fathers will be seen helping move in their freshmen, old desks and couches will declare listing for auction via sidewalk exposure and a "FREE" sign on classic college ruled, haphazardly taped on. Tour groups of early students will weave across campus and down the "Ave" and I will avoid them. I love the excitement of this time and find my own newness about the coming months. As a tax paying citizen, I try to take as much advantage of the University as I can since I have and still do fund it in part. The real treat for me are the lectures. Dropping off in summer, and sometimes slow in Spring because of defenses, lecture events on campus come back into full swing a few weeks in to fall quarter. I usually go to about one a week and they traverse the lot of the humanities and social science disciplines along with many of the health sciences. Eager to fill my calendar and reconnect with the greater academic community, not just my predominately cyber-bubbled medical anthropologists that span from Edinburgh to Seattle, Toronto to LA. Despite the reach of this cadre, I still find a sort of antiqued excitement in attending on campus lectures, even if outside my field. They are a beacon of intellectual stimulation in an otherwise dreary realm of rain and clouds.

Here are the few I've been able to calendar; reviews will follow!

B/ordering Violence: Boundaries, Indigineity, and Gender in the Americas

As part of the 2012-2013 John E. Sawyer Seminar on the Comparative Study of Cultures at the UW on "B/ordering Violence: Boundaries, Indigeneity and Gender in the Americas," María Josefina Saldaña-Portillo (Social and Cultural Analysis, New York University) delivers the first of three quarterly lectures surrounding the theme of the Discourses and Practices of Policing Borders.



A Crisis of Care and a Crisis of Borders: Towards Caring Citizenship
Victoria Lawson
An internationally-respected feminist geographer, Victoria Lawson’s research focuses on how human relations have been altered by new modes of mobility, technology, and inequality; how people struggle to provide care and love in worlds that are fragmented by space and time; and how they support one another in an era of growing poverty.
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 7:00pm
Kane Hall, Room 110
Lawson is Professor of Geography at the University of Washington